How to Replace Character's Head with a Head from Photo

Post your questions here.
natkaf86f

How to Replace Character's Head with a Head from Photo

Post by natkaf86f »

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to replace a character's head with a head from a photo?

I am aware of the face mask function, but it does not look as realistic as I would like for it to look.

Is there any other quick, relatively easy way to replace character's head with a head from a photo?

Attached is the look that I am going for, where the entire character's head is replaced (including hair)

I look forward to hearing any suggestions and recommendations.

Thank you!

Geoff Clarkson
Founding Member

Re: How to Replace Character's Head with a Head from Photo

Post by Geoff Clarkson »

This something that I have a try at every so often, but I have bever found a satisfactory solution. Because of the way that the UV of the head is mapped it is very difficult to go from a photo to an entire head. If you can make or get a 3d model of the head you require then you can attach that to a feautre on the face. I have just tried attaching a plain bust to the nose on the male character and that works fine. Thios is something you could maybe use for an animal head or a popular cartoon head for which you might be able to find a ready made model.

natkaf86f

Post by natkaf86f »

Thank you for your reply!

What format did you use for 3D plain bust below?

I could get a 3D format of the head in fbx format. Do you think that it would work?

How did you attach it to a feature on the face? Did you just hide the existing nose of the character, and tried to replace it with the 3D head?

Geoff Clarkson
Founding Member

Post by Geoff Clarkson »

I just found a bust in Silo, exported it as an fbx, and attached it to the nose. All of the facial features have sockets for attachment (except the lips). If you want to be very clever you could bring the eyes forward so that they operate on the new head, but that is certain to take a lot of fiddling about.
I just had a look on Turbosquid, there are some free heads there and lots you will have to pay for.
Personally I think I would only use a cartoon head if it somehow fitted in with the muvizu cartoon style.

natkaf86f

Post by natkaf86f »

Thank you for the detail!